Like many other Wisconsin communities, Plymouth started as a stagecoach stop on a Native American trail and wilderness road from Sheboygan to the interior of the state.
The Mullet River Attracts Settlers
The Mullet River was what first attracted settlers from New England and New York, shortly followed by the Germans escaping the social upheaval in their homelands. The Smith family had named the area Quit Qui Oc, meaning "Crooked River," while Henry and Thomas Davidson named it Plymouth. The State Legislature changed the name to Quit Qui Oc in 1851, but reversed itself, naming the whole settlement Plymouth a year later. Division Street is what evidence remains of the rivalry between the two factions.
Railroad, Cheese Factories and Agriculture
The arrival of the Sheboygan and Mississippi Railroad in 1859, and the Milwaukee and Northern Railroad in 1871, made Plymouth a small railroad center with an underlying agricultural economy. Local cheese factories added to this economy in the 1860’s and 1870’s, bringing to downtown the National Cheese Exchange, until the late 1950’s.
In 2002, Plymouth celebrated its 125th anniversary. Since Plymouth was founded, this diverse city has been enjoying growth and expansion. With that growth, time has aged what once was a delightfully new and developing place, but it has not taken away any of Plymouth's original beauty.